DIRECTORATE OF QUALITY ASSURANCE
PROF. HELEN O. MONDOH, PhD
DIRECTOR, QUALITY ASSURANCE
since 2005, Kenya has shown concern about the downward trend in academic quality in her public universities. This concern is justifiable due to increased student population but with disproportionately low resource allocation. As a country, she is committed to delivery of high quality of education to drive the economy as is envisaged in the Kenya Vision 2030. As such, each public institution whose core mandate is to provide education is expected to make provisions for sustainable quality in all her activities.
The Directorate of Quality Assurance (DQA) at Pwani University, was set up in September 2014 as per the University Statutes. The directorate envisions becoming a centre of excellence in the enhancement of quality standards in the University. It therefore, towards achieving the university’s mission, takes the lead role on guiding to assure promotion and development of a culture of quality in the University through a comprehensive quality assurance system. This should provide the University’s support of the Government’s effort towards quality assurance.
As is implicit in the University Statutes, the overall objective of the Directorate of Quality Assurance is to promote high academic standards through maintenance and continuous enhancement of quality academic, research, consultancy and outreach programmes, in line with the University’s Charter, Statutes, Strategic plan, ISO 9001:2015 Standards, and guidelines and standards set by relevant commissions and regulatory authorities.
- Implementation and promotion of quality assurance systems and structures in all University academic operations.
- The development of clear procedures and or standards of quality assurance for non-academic, administrative and other support service units of the university.
- The organisation and facilitation of periodic Internal and External Quality Assurance Assessment of the University
- Monitors and evaluates all key academic and research processes in the University.
- Sets up interventions to address customer and employee concerns.
- Establishes linkages, partnerships and networks with other QA units/institutions/centres to enhance quality in all the University’s undertakings.
- Develops and or maintains relevant policies, manuals or guides for University-wide QA operations.
- Works with relevant University organs to define and set up quality benchmarks.
- Carries out academic and research audits to comply with set standards.
- Handles quality issues related to student assessment and teaching evaluation.
- Promote quality training and teaching practices.
- Promote the desired scholarship services for students and staff.
- Coordinate the University for review and evaluation of its academic programmes in line with the government regulatory bodies and institutions.
- Give advice on the system of engaging external examiners.
- Safeguard the integrity of the university’s academic awards.
The DQA in collaboration with all arms and divisions of the university is committed to oversee the provision of education that produce a graduate of high academic acumen, discipline and responsibility to the society.